Monday 16 December 2013

What the Stars don't Fortell

I have spent 40 years looking up my stars (and also looking up to the heavens), hoping for a change ‘next week’. The more I read, the more my respect for the fraternity thickens – for their creative writing - and not the fact that these stars have never come true till date.  These star writers must be the most intelligent humans, a creative writing community, repeating week after week, the same thing for different stars in different writing styles – masters of English language really.

Last Sunday, one of the esteemed dailies wrote this for me, a Virgo. “Your emotional Moon (whatever that means) brings a passionate aspect to your sign this week, placing an undeniable accent on frivolity and friendship that have often been in short supply in the past. Why not take advantage of a more relaxed mood at work to defer irksome tasks until later – but not for too long”.

Well, the passion is still very much alive, and I have always been passionate about everything. Frivolous? Yes, at times. But to say that ‘frivolity and friendship have been in short supply in the past’ is factually wrong in my case. As for taking ‘advantage of a more relaxed mood at work’, the stars fall flat as neither do I have a work place, nor anything akin to 'work' at the moment!

Perhaps, the ‘irksome tasks’ the writer refers to must be the domestic assignments, and work delegated to me by the females at home!

More forecasts ‘You will have a surprise from your past friend of opposite sex’. I am absolutely delighted. But I am confused and yet, full of suspense! I had, and continue to have, so many girl friends. Those from the past do keep in touch off and on. But, what surprise do I expect? A mere appearance or something more tantalising?? I do not want to clarify my confusion any further lest some people blame me for being sexist!

And finally, ‘Romance is in the air’! Wow. Does it smell? Or does it feel? Well. The thrilling part is that mere expectation of these things actually happening soon, and the tingling suspense, helps in ticking the minutes by. Brilliant writers I say!

Whatever it may be, words, deeds and actions as mentioned by these starry-eyed writers should better come true for me. I can't wait.

Meanwhile, I have time to do some extra domestic chores. Oh, I have got to go down again for an irksome task. My wife wants chillies and coriander and ginger and.. . These items were not on the list of my previous excursion to the veggie shop just minutes ago. No blame game. Just go, get it!

Brilliant they may be but the dream-sellers can never forecast the beauty, the complexity of such micro-moments in a particular week and activities within.

Either that or the media should carry a statutory warning sign on the relevant page:

“Not Valid for Senior Citizens”.

No comments:

Post a Comment